Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Gauntlet, Part 3 (or 4?)

Grrr.

Depending on which scale I believe I've either lost nothing this week or I might have even gained a pound. I'm not all that surprised, even though I started a killer new weighlifting program I'm not getting as much cardio work as I should. The Cheeseburgers stayed away this week, but they sent their rough and tumble cousin, Pizza, to whoop my butt pretty good Saturday night.

Speaking of butt whoopin' I got a good one Friday from my first giant set work out. I was right to fear it. It doesn't just want your body, it wants your soul too. It is heavy on deadlifts, which are an incredible all body exercise that gives special attention to the glutes....so my buttmuscle was incredibly stiff and sore the next day. Spending 7 hours sitting on bleachers watching Katie's volleyball team didn't exactly soften the blow. I kept asking *butt* no one took me up on my request for a butt massage. Sometimes you just can't catch a break.

I've done Workout B now too. I don't think its as hard as A. It goes: (10-12 reps) front squat, underhand lat pulldown, step-up, push press, rest 60 seconds - do it again 3 more times. Another giant set (20 reps): squat, wide grip lat pull down, step-up, shoulder press, rest 60 seconds, do it again. Lastly 2 sets of 20 swiss ball crunches. Now, gasp for air, puke if you need to and cry.

This week should be better for cardio, bike miles will come easy starting with a 63 mile gravel road race this Sunday. The CIRREM course is top secret but it will start in Cumming and take full advantage of the hilly, rolling terrain just southeast of town. Nick and I have struck a "turtle alliance" for this "race" meaning we're just going to ride it together for fun, waiting for each other if necessary, and not worry about finishing DFL (that's dead f@#$! last for those not familiar with the lingo). I told him holding hands to cross the finish was optional. I hope no one shows up with a finish line tape or we might not be able to break it and will have to drop out in the final millimeter.

2 comments:

Nick said...

It sounds to me like you have access to the excuse: I'm putting on more muscle than I'm taking off fat. What with all of your booty kicking weight lifting. Keep that one in the line up.

Sunday should be fun, if it doesn't rain. Otherwise it could be epically bad.

Brian said...

Haven't you read my blog? epically bad is what I do best.

I thought about throwing out the adding muscle thing, but I didn't want to get all excusey just yet.