Tuesday, December 2, 2008

First Snowy Hike Featuring New Dog, Old Dog and an Unidentified Chuck

I had to take off work early to pick up Katie from her Leadership Council thing at school. Apparently the honorable council debated on the appropriate date for the 7th Grade dance (but its not really a dance and NO DAD I'm not going to actually dance at the not-a-dance). They picked February 13th, that's Friday the 13th. I'm not too sure about letting my darling princess even attend a not-a-dance dance on a horror show date like that. No Sir.

Anywho, since I was off work with plenty of daylight left and the temps were relatively warm I took the opportunity to get the dog out on another hike at Easter. Right off the bat we spot a potential critter in the trail. See 'em way up there? Looks like a possum.




It was actually a Blue Plastic Chuck, which is just like a Woodchuck, only instead of wood they're made of blue plastic. They're not indigenous to this area so this was a pretty keen find. Don't worry about me getting this close, they're friendly.



I started a new workout routine yesterday (more on that another day) and my legs are SORE so we took it EASY, but we did do some off trail trekking. Its pretty cool, there are some old trails I cleared last year that are apparently still being lightly used by somebody as well as a few deer or other critters.



This bridge is on the other side of the road in Ewing Park. Its significant to me because this is where our old dog, Jake, blockaded 3 year old Katie. She had toddled her way out in front of us and Jakers was havin' none of it. He layed down across the front of the bridge until we got ahold of her for the crossing. Just one of many cool moments with him.



Saying he was a great dog doesn't quite cut it. Years later I still miss the oversized cotton ball.



Captian is a good dog too, just not 1/10th as smart, but dats ok the world needs mutts of dubious intellagunce too.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are absolutely killing me with these dog stories. Dog laying down his life to prevent toddler from crossing bridge - it doesn't get any better than than that. Danglin