Sunday, December 14, 2008

Bike and Hike

Set out yesterday for a bike ride in the unusually warm 40+ degrees. We were hoping Sycamore would still be frozen enough to make a ride out to Sycamore Access, and then if we needed to we would ride the paved trail back.

The trail was in GREAT shape, much of it being packed down by the 50-75 runners in the recent Sycamore 8 trail run.



Not much to tell about the ride, we rolled out and back on the dirt/snow around 16 miles total. Corey's bike was happy with the outing. The feeling was mutual.



Sunday I took the dog for a hike out at Thomas Mitchell Park. This neat little park outside of Altoona has fishing, camping and a buncha other stuff like nature trails. The trail system is pretty small with only a couple of short loops, but there are alternative paths that allow for quite a bit of good trekking up and down ridges and ravines.





At first I thought it might be a wasted trip because the main paths offer a couple of descent hills, but nothing all that interesting, but after exploring a couple of the lesser used paths, I changed my mind. We did about 3 miles it was fun.

Right after snapping this picture I saw a HUGE owl and a hawk. Kinda weird seeing them close together.



Mr. Devotie, RIP, one of the trails ends at his grave.





The weather was the other interesting point of the day. When I stepped out to get the morning paper I was pleasantly surprised. "Its just like spring out there." I told Jackie. By the time I got around to getting out the door the mercury had dropped 25-30 degrees. Good thing I had a second windbreaker in the car from the bike ride. I needed it. I parked next to the fishing pond and the wind whipping off the frozen ice was wicked. Wind chill? 1 degree. I mean really, one? why don't you just go ahead and make it zero. One lousy degree isn't doing anybody any good. Once you got into the trees, and got the body temp up, it wasn't bad.

Here is a couple of pictures from last Sunday's hike at Brown's Woods. Trail Dog walks on frozen waterfalls, don't try to stop him.



Maybe the best picture I've ever taken.



The water was frozen around the fallen tree. It was making a babbling sound like a mountain stream or something. It was quite peaceful.



Good hike.

No comments: