Monday, March 1, 2010

I'm going to Uuuu-tah, I'm going to Uuuu-tah

Sometime in the early throes of the nastiest winter on record I declared, "I'm riding someplace warm for my birthday!".

And so it was: the gauntlet thrown down, the ship set a course - I would RIDE, it was a matter of HONOR. My birthday was January 10th.

You know what I did 1-10? Well, that's-really-none-of-your-business but, I can tell you this: I wasn't riding someplace warm.

As it turns out, even matters of HONOR are no sure bet. So, after several tries - including a double spearheaded attempt to take in the ISU bowl game and some Arizona singletrack - I had given up and resigned myself to a spring full of a snowy, muddy, mushy, mess.

Then, what's this? The pieces starting coming together (even if I wasn't escaping winter anymore). An available mountain bike buddy, cheap flights to Vegas and the ability to crash with another friend made the plan complete. The Utah mountain biking haven of St. George and Hurricane are only a few hours drive from Vegas, so we will be staying a couple of days in canyon and mesa country in addition to taking in Bootleg Canyon and maybe Red Rock Canyon and/or Blue Diamond.

To say I'm excited doesn't quite capture it.

Here's a cool video that compiles 3 of the trails we plan to ride.



Giddy Up.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Okay, I've lived in the Southwest.

Advice:

-Watch out for snakes. They are all deadly. Really.
-Watch out for stinging insects that can be deadly (really).
-And goat heads. I'm not telling you what they are, but, really, ask anyone in the area and WATCH OUT for them.
Go in peace. (I've been a little worried about you.)