Monday, August 24, 2009

Green Lantern and a Wolverine

After taking the dog out to Banner for a hike on Sunday I had to get back out there on the bike.

I also had a new mojo, the Green Lantern, to test out. He is more formal than Fez (my single speed mojo). For example, he insists on calling me "Citizen". "The trail looks clear, Citizen." Thanks superhero dude.



Green did his job admirably early in the ride, stopping me moments before I destroyed my headphones. I haven't been doing much solo riding this year, so I completely forgot I'd hooked my iPod up but didn't put the headphones in my ears. About 30 yards into the trail it felt like a vine grabbed me from behind, when I looked back this is what I saw.



They are a wrap around design, just not wrap around your cassette. It is amazing I didn't cut or nick the cord or chew up the earbuds. They did need a little reshaping, but all things considered I got off easy. " Your headphones are now safe! Onward with easy listening, Citizen!" Uhm, yeah....thanks dude. We're going to have to work on his demeanor.



Banner's north side was in great shape and Riverside wasn't too bad. The big bridge is back. I don't really know how, but its back.



It reminded me of Richard Chamberlin's shipwreck in Shogun.



I don't know why I thought of the old TV mini-series based on James Clavill's book, but it did. I remember watching it in elementary school and wanting to be a Samuari, bad. Me and the rest of the boys would battle (BONZAI!) with sticks during recess for the sake of Bushido. I should watch that show again to see if it stands the test of time.

On my 2nd of 3 laps I had the misfortune of encountering a wolverine heading in the opposite direction. No not this kind:



this kind:



A serious disagreement about trail right-of-way ensued. Unfortunately, for us both, it escalated to a throw down. Wolverines are tough customers so blood was spilt, but he finally succumbed to reason, along with upper cuts and left hooks.

At least that's how I think it went down....It was either that or I ran into this bunch of roughly broken off tree limbs that were hidden by the light/shade shadows and obscured by the low hanging branch...either way, I won (kinda, sorta, but not really).



Minor arm carnage.



Stupid wolverines.

2 comments:

Teri said...

Uhm if little Izzy heard you say STUPID she would correct you and tell ya stupid is a BAD word!!! Hey are you going to GNOME FEST????

Brian said...

Yea! Teri finally comments! I would feel horrible if I got scolded by Izzy so I'll be sure to watch my potty mouth. Yes I am down with the Gnomes & I can't wait.