Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Womble, Lake Vista and a Guy Named Craig: Day 1, Zero Hour

On Friday the band of merry misfits I'm calling the Iowa Eight saddled up and descended upon Arkansas in search of amazing singletrack mountain biking and associated good times.

The crew of Matt, Corey, Nick, Dennis, Squirrel, Teri, Sammy and myself got geared up, strapped down and rolled out of Des Moines after work to drive south all night toward mountain bike nirvana.


View Larger Map

Our specific aim, the IMBA Epic trail The Womble. This 35+ mile piece of narrow, rocky, hilly singletrack had been calling to all of us most of the long cold winter.

Knowing my previous luck with mysteriously disappearing bikes, I strapped and ratcheted and mentally welded our rigs to the rack for the trip. I strategically placed my new bike snug in between Corey and Nick's "sacrifical buffer" bikes in the event of an unplanned impact.

After a mere 9 or so hours we rolled into the neighborhood around 5:00, Godawful, A.M. and went into a little greasy spoon that was "happy to fire up the girl for y'all". Minutes later we were enjoying(?) breakfast food galore. There was something on special called biscuits and chocolate gravy. Now, I know what biscuits are and I'm familiar with gravy.....but chocolate gravy not-so-much. I think we discovered another combination of two things that are great a part but not right together - chocolate gravy (I assume, I didn't try it).

Less than an hour* (these timeframes are subject to change as I was a little fuzzy by this time) later we were at our destination, Hwy 27 Fishing Village. Since it was still dark and too early to check in we took the opportunity to catch a few zzz's in the parking lot next to Lake Oauchita.

Oh yeah, can't forget about Craig. He's the title character of a song I like by comedian Stephen Lynch. I introduced him to Corey and Nick on the way down there and later I played it for the whole group. Things kinda went from there until we all kinda considered Craig as part of the group.

More on Craig and actual riding next time on Womble, Vista & Co. Day 1-2 (you'll see, they blend together)

Jokes.com
Stephen Lynch - Jesus' Brother
comedycentral.com
Joke of the DayStand-Up ComedyFree Online Games

1 comment:

Iowagriz said...

I'm anxiously waiting for the stories. They are strangely absent from those that did the trip.

Perhaps still in a haze?