Sunday, November 23, 2008

Trail Dog Visits Brown's Woods

Many moons ago, when I first started mountain biking, we liked our music dark and grungy, our beer cheap and plentiful and our women......well, you just nevermind about that.

We also liked to roll our knobby tires through Brown's Woods. Then one day mountain bikers weren't welcome there anymore; it seems the soil was "sensitive to erosion". I suppose erosion might be the issue but I've always suspected it might also have something to do with the Geritol Nation users having their delicate sensibilities disturbed by our two wheeled abhorations.

Trail Dog in transit



I hadn't been back there since being banished. It started snowing just as we arrived. How great is that?



I have found that if I walk slow enough to take a picture Trail Dog tends to pee on things, If I wanted to I could start a separate "Things I've Peed On" blog for Captain sometime...yeah, or maybe not.



We did a little off trail creek crossing and bushwhacking too 'cuz we're bad like-that.



Trail dog drank from the creek because that's what rugged beasts do.



After hiking and some light trail running we came across the only other user I would see all day, an older lady with a bushy little lap dog.



When she saw us she stopped to put a leash on her dog. I approached very slowly to let her get it on, but she was struggling quite a bit with it. "Is your dog friendly?" She suddenly screeched, her shrillness shattering the snowy silence (alliteration - sahweet).

"Yep, he's fine" I raised my hand - palm forward - in the international "it's cool, so chill" sign.

As we near she raises the terror alert to orange, "Are you sure he's friendly?!" "Ah, yeah, I am."

She got the leash on her furball right when the dogs got nose-to-nose. The bushy little spaz chuffed and spun away and the lady immediately dropped the leash. "Oh, well, my dog is a little afraid..."
"Okay, sorry"

Thanks for the drama, Shrilly McClain, but we'll be movin' on now, you're killin' our nature buzz. As I continued up the trail I thought to myself, "Oh yeah, now I remember why mountain bikers are not out here anymore."

Anywho, the hiking was still a barrel o' fun. There's a short front loop and a longer back loop, we did both twice, so I figgerin' it was about 4 miles.





Its pretty hilly and so it was a good workout too. Trail Dog was so wiped he needed a boost to get his leadbutt in the SUV.

It was awesome. It won't be 20 years before I go back again.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

give me a call next time I'll bring Bianchi out and we can hook up:)

Peace

Anonymous said...

Brian, seriously, I agree with the no mountain bikes rule in Brown's Woods. It is a delicate ecosystem that needs to be respected and protected. And you're right - that was great alliteration! Impressive. Danglin