Saturday, November 29, 2008

Bears Can Hibernate If They Want

I'm gonna hike and bike all winter. Well, at least I can talk tough as long as it stays above 10 degrees.

Currently I've got a pretty good streak going for getting out into the great outdoors. I rode Tuesday at the Center and Wednesday at Ahquabi. Even though I didn't make it out to the Turkey Day Ride I did manage a jaunt around Easter on Thanksgiving and on Friday I made it back out to Center.

On the flipside of my good streak I've been having a bad run of mechanical problems. Tuesday I rode my cross bike at the Center. Toward the end of my ride I ran across Squirrel who took me on a tour of his new accoutrements in the aptly named Squirrel's Nest trail. We parted ways after our loop and I decided to do a quick loop of the Rhythm trail. Barely 100 yards into it a stick got jammed into the rear derailleur, shearing it off and bending the hanger. Since its not a replaceable hanger I'm going to need some bike wizardry outta Rassy's to fix it. I'm pretty confident it can be done, but a bent hanger is just a sick thing. I had kinda decided I was going to sell the Poprad in favor of another cross bike with a smaller frame, more friendly gearing and disc brakes. Now, its definitely going to go.

The other problems pale in comparison but I had a flat at Ahquabi and had a stick knock the Trek's rear brakes completely off kilter on Friday. I had to finish the ride sans rear brakes - you really kinda need those. Biking, as with most things I guess, is something you occasionally have to remind yourself this is fun.

Saturday I decided to give my poor bikes a break and take Trail Dog on another snowy adventure. We went to Yellow Banks Park just outside of Runnells. This is a interesting little park I first discovered early last spring. It sits on some bluffs above the Des Moines River. There are several short hiking trails. Its too bad they don't connect to give you any good distance, but the topography is pretty awesome. There's lots of ravines and creekbeds to cross, with plenty of good opportunities to bushwhack and scramble.



My camera didn't have much of a charge and I took way too many pictures early in the trip so when I got to some more interesting stuff the batteries were dead.





Trail Dog found a couple of spots that smelled so dern gude he had to just lay down and roll in it. It was probably deer pee or something.









I'm working on a little training with Capt'n. I will drop the leash and let him wander just a little but if he gets too far from me I can step on the leash or get him to stop with my Big Bad Dad voice (it is a powerful weapon). He's actually doing really well. Its funny, he's so excited he wants to go-go-go but he's also soooo happy to be out he'll do whatever you want. I don't think I'll ever be to the point where I would trust him off leash, but it would be nice to feel confident he won't bolt at the first opening.



The soaking we were getting ended our day a little prematurely. I'm going to have to start taking a pack for longer hikes. Only 2.8 miles, although it seemed like more. There's some big ravines out dar, trust me.

We'll be back. I might need snowshoes next time.

2 comments:

Steve Fuller said...

That must have been that blue Poprad I saw at the back of the shop? The guys did a good job getting the hangar on my Monkey straightened out after I bent it at Aquabi earlier this summer.

You could always turn the Poprad into a SS cross bike and come join the cool kids. ;)

Brian said...

Yep, dats the one. Hope it was looking well. I'm converting my hardtail Trek to a single, so I'll take loosing my gears one bike at a time. You know what I want now? Salsa La Cruz. Yeah baby.