Monday, November 17, 2008

Easter in November

Easter Lake that is.

I was all set on doing some gravel riding on the cross bike Sunday, planning to head south, check out Banner and maybe roll onto Ahquabi if the legs were feeling alright and the weather was cooperating.

Getting ready to go anywhere these days means I need to have the stealth of a ninja to avoid detection by TrailSled Dog. I wasn't very secretive getting ready and TS Dog was laying the guilt on thick.

You goin' sumwhare?



I ended up hanging around the house for awhile to let the excitement disipate before heading out. During this time I noticed the winds really swirling around outside. I thought it was supposed to be windy on Saturday, but that's not what it sounded like out there.

After finally sneaking out to the garage I pulled my cross bike off the rack and the rear tire made a THUNK when it hit the ground. Grrr, a flat before I even leave (which is the best time to have a flat). Since I wanted to be riding instead of fixing I grabbed the mountain bike and decided to head to Easter instead. The tree cover would provide some nice protection against the wind and the trail out there stands up to rain pretty well, so I wasn't too worried about soggy conditions.

I've rode more than ever this year but I haven't spent nearly as much time at Easter as I have in the past. Sunday reminded me what I've been missing. I really love having this right out my backdoor.





There are some long range plans to pave a path around the lake. While I'm ALL FOR improvements in the park, especailly a trail all the way around the lake, I am NOT FOR plowing under some perfectly good natural path. Oh well, I think its a ways off and even then it will leave plenty of alternative dirt paths.

Can you say hill repeats? I had never done them before, so I did 3. It was a good workout. There's a lot of good hills to train on out here. Maybe I should take advantage of that (ya think?)



I know NOTHING about photography, and neither does my bike, we just know what we like.





There's a creek crossing that separates the west side of the trails with the park proper. On the westside is this rooty gully Corey and I call Headcase. Looking down -



Looking up



It earned this name because it looks pretty intimidating, especially when it isn't filled with leaves and you can see all the gnarly roots. Despite that its not all that hard to come down it, especially once you've done it a few times, but once you get to thinking you have it down....BAM! it will put you on your head. Once it does will be in your head for awhile, hence Headcase. You can ride west to east down Headcase but not up the opposite side, which is Swan Dive. Leaves really kill the perspective of how steep this is, but trust me its a bit of a stinker.



Here's a picture from awhile back of Trail Dog navigating said hill.



We call this Swan Dive because Corey had the most graceful acrobatic flip over the handlebars and into the creek I have ever seen one time while coming down it. He held onto the bike the whole way and really stuck the landing. Perfect 10's across the boards, except for the Russian judge who is just a playa hatah. So, due to my limited powers of the bike Jedi, Headcase and Swan Dive are both one way down. You have to hoof it up one side or the other depending on the way you're heading. One of these days I want to conquer even this nemisis - that would be a good day.

Its funny how you can pass by something hundreds of times and not really notice it. The view from the bridge at the bottom is nice and naturey.



Unfortunately I had to cut my ride short because I hadn't eaten much for breakfast. See, I was planning on hitting the Casey's in Carisle for carbofuel, but there is no Casey's in the woods so I was out of gas.

I was planning to head back out after stopping at home to charge up, but its hard to get back at it, once you've dried off and warmed up. Plus Jackie and the kids were going bowling and I'm a ball-spinnin' strike-throwing APB bowler, so we went off to burn up the lanes.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is a complete mystery to me how you can ever say no to that dog. He rips my heart out every time.
Danglin

Brian said...

That is the Trail Dog way. His Kung Fu is strong.