Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Odds and Ends

And now for something a little lighter...

As many of you know, I bought a Surly Pugsley fat tire (snow) bike in the late fall. The Pugsley's were previously only available as a frameset, meaning you would have to build it up yourself, at considerable expense. This year, in response to Salsa coming out with a new, complete snow bike Surly decided to offer a complete Pugsley at a reasonable price point.

Here's how I felt about it.



They were so in demand it looked like I wouldn't be able to get my hands on one but my trusty Rassy bike shop guy, Sterling, worked the phones like a tweenage girl looking for Justin Beiber tickets and.....Wah-La....snow bike. Thanks Sterling, you're the best.



The Pugs is super fun to ride, highly stable at slow speeds. Its as good at sandy, river trail riding as it is snow, but it cruises at its own speed. Big boy weighs around 37 pounds. For these reasons it can be a lonely man's bike. When the snow/sand gets deep no one can hang with your fat floating tires. That's ok though, slap the headphones in and enjoy the solitude of the woods.

It does seem to inspire bike-leaning-against-something pictures. I have several of these.



You could go whitewater rafting on one of their tubes (flask for size perspective only).



It fits in my largest, expandable seat bag but that's all. Don't even think of squeezing something else in there, Monster Tube doesn't like to share.




For another addition to my stable (N+1 = correct number of bikes) I'm currently working on building up this beauty, a Salsa Big Mama. My Voodoo Canzo 29 green machine is/was a great full suspension bike but it was a tad on the small side. It treated me right in Arkansas (Womble) and in Vegas/SW Utah (Bootleg and Gooseberry et al) but when the Mamas went on closeout about a year ago I grabbed a frame. I'm just now getting the funds to finish her out.



Super sweet Easton Haven wheels showed up the other day. This is going to be one bad mama.



And....finally, we bought a camper late last year. We got a super sweet deal on a lightly damaged one at auction. Jackie's dad is a wizard at such things.



It is not-at-all clear whether this camper is available for gratuitous mountain biking guy trips...but the dog likes it.



Well, at least the dog likes it.

3 comments:

Iowagriz said...

Nice and Nice (bike and camper). I remember looking at the Outback line years ago. Well made campers. You and the family will love it.

Monster said...

Hey! We can go camping!

Brian said...

Hey! Monster comments! I think its a first and yes we can go camping but don't ask me to do Vision Quest sit/push ups ever again.