Sunday, May 17, 2009

Build Some, Scout Some, Ride Some

I started my all-trail weekend with the CITA trail crew at Banner Saturday morning. I don't know what they got done on Coal Miner's Daughter trail, but Tom, Sam and I opened up the rest of Riverside. Work included hardcore handsawing, Paul Bunyon style, a downed tree and a moderate sandbar reroute. After that the 3 of us headed up the ridge to cut new trail. We got quite a distance hacking und chopping; with a few guys it could be open to almost the stop sign in an hour of work or so.

After recouping from trailwork I got the wild idea to scout a patch of timber in Ewing park that CITA trailmaster Ryan has talked to me about. I've ridden back there once or twice on the existing mowed grass path, so I know it has potential.

Clearly this was a job for Trail Dog.


View Ewing Timber in a larger map

All in all it looks pretty promising to me. Seems like there's plenty of room for several miles of trail. There's quite a few foot or deer paths but they're mostly grown over with some very thick underbrush in spots. It slopes east to west with the east (disc golf course side) being sloggy boggy mess. I can't imagine ever putting trail through that swamp, I think we would want to stay westernly.

On the extreme western end there's an open field beggin to be a swoopy fast track...



with a couple of natural features thrown in.



There was something that smelled so dern gude he just had to roll in it (bath required later)



Sunday I got my daughter and a friend - who is just getting back into mountain biking - out on the trail. We met Nick out at the Center for some easy rolling through Denmans. Conditions were suprisingly good considering all the rain we've been getting.





Katie did great. I rode behind her most of the way, enjoying the assortment of Ooo, whoa, uhm, ahh, whoosh, yeeah! and other noises coming from her. I think Matt enjoyed himself too.

Here's Katie in "action". The video's director/photographer clearly has no vested interest in the outcome.



Good weekend, I'm tired. Time to go back to work.

No comments: