Wednesday, October 15, 2008

W-O-R-D

I've been silent on this topic for quite awhile. I know you must all be wondering where I stand....so I am going to address this issue now, once-and-for-all, on the record:

I don't like songs that spell things.

You know who you are: G-L-O-R-I-A and G-L-A-M-O-R-O-U-S.

Sorry, that means you too B-I-N-G-O.



Don't worry, YMCA, you don't count. There is a special clause for acronyms but, I haveta tell you, the oiled up Indian doesn't help matters. You are officially on notice.

I especially don't like it when an artist spells out his or her name and puts a "to the" in between the letters. I don't get it, what's the point? I should try it when putting my name in at a restaurant. "Uhm....B to the R to the IAN, your table is ready".

Aretha Franklin's R-E-S-P-E-C-T gets a pass, because of my R-E-S-P-E-C-T for soul music.

The only other notable exception? S-A-T-U-R-D-A-Y Night. Oh yeah, Bay City Rollers circa 1976.



One of my first LP's (that's vinyl for all you younguns) was their Greatest Hits album.



Clearly, I R-O-C-K-E-D H-A-R-D back then and I still do T-O-D-A-Y.

No comments: