Monday, September 21, 2009

Whiterock Rocks

I know I still need to pen a Gnomefest ride report, but I went to CITA's Ales and Trails event at Whiterock Conservancy this weekend, so I'll have to get back to the gnomes at another time.

Despite our relative inexperience as a camping family (nil) I'd say we did pretty darn good. All family members had a whiterockin' good time, particularly Trail Dog who has decided he is now Camping Dog.

Without a leash law Captain was free to roam the campground, making best friends - canine and human - everywhere he went.



He was bombed by the end of Saturday.



Jackie and the girls had a great time. Katie made a new best friend in Teri and Squirrel's daughter Izzy.



Allie had a good time with Matt and Melissa daughter, Mica.

Ryan's kids were adorable dynamos as well.

Late on Night 2, after 2 rides, some good food and a beer or two my back started hurting a bit so I laid down flat on a picnic table seat. Inside the barn Brother Trucker was warming up, outside kids were playing and the adults were mulling around. The next thing I know little Amos is right at eye level asking me "Are you down?"



I affirmed that I was, in fact, down. He confirmed "You are down." His older brother, Parker also came over to verify that I was indeed "down". All this helped to get me back up. Thanks guys.

Here they are motoring in Izzy's superfly pink Jeep.



Brother Trucker rocked that little old barn hard. Since the crowd was pretty modest it was like having our own private show. At one point in the night I made the mistake of parking my bike next to the keg. Later when I returned it was missing. I looked but didn't see it anywhere. Eventually I found the bikenapper (Matt) and he gave up its position (tree). Why I didn't think to look in the tree right next to the keg I'll never know. Let that be a lesson to all of you - if you lose a bike (especially in the vicinity of a keg) always look in the trees.

My wife has temporarily relieved me of the cord that connects my camera to the computer by putting it somewhere that she would remember it. Ah yeah, I've done that about a million times so I can't say much. I think I have some really cool scenery shots. There is no shortage of impressive river valley views at the Rock. I'll post 'em up when we solve our little technical difficulty.

As for the trails, I will do another post on them when I get the GPS data loaded up and find that pesky camera cord.

Overall it was good times with some good friends.

2 comments:

Teri said...

Too much of a good time!!! Very nice to meet your family, and Izabella can't stop talking about Katie. You have a wonderful family! Can't wait for the next get together!!!!

Brian said...

We all agree - camping was excellent, definitely something we should do again. Getting to meet everyone's family was the best part for us.